is a third class city in the province of Negros Oriental, Philippines.
There are two bays in the area, hence the name "Bais". The shore line is mostly mangroves, which are in danger of destruction due to the increasing population. The richness of marine life in the bays is because of these mangroves.
Bais City's bays are widely known to have one of the most beautiful coral reefs in the area.
The Pelarta River runs beside the city center. There is, however, a dispute that the name Bais was taken after the eels locally called "Bais" that used to thrive in this river. The river has been the source of irrigation water for the nearby sugar farms. This has been vital in the success of sugar plantations in this area. This river also has a big influence on the city's geography, as it deposits sediments in the former mangrove areas during the (formerly annual) flood season. These former mangrove swamps have now dried out and become populated with residents. In the late seventies, under the government of Genaro Goñi, there was established a river control system stretching from the city center towards the low lying areas in order to lessen flooding during the rainy season.
A Brief History___________________________
In the early days of Spanish exploration, some Spaniards came upon a swampy land and docked their boats at the vicinity of the two small islets that guarded the village while exploring the place they saw natives fishing along the coast. The Spaniards approached the natives and asked for the name of the place. The natives could not understand Spanish,and believing that the Spaniards were asking for the name of their catch, the natives answered saying "Ba-is", from the day on this swampy valley of the Old Panlabangan and Talamban Hills became known as Bais.
Negros Oriental is culturally-oriented towards Cebu. Most of
the people who inhabit the coastal towns speak Cebuano. Other
dialects spoken are Tagalog and Ilonggo.
Commerce and Industry_____________________
Bais City is the largest producer of raw sugar in Negros Oriental. There are two sugar mills in the city. The Central Azucarera de Bais was established by Tabacalera of Spain in the early 1900s and is one of the oldest in the country. The other mill, URSUMCO (Universal Robina Sugar Milling Corporation) was formerly URSUMCO (United Planters Milling Corporation) and constructed in the mid '70s by Marubeni Corporation of Japan as a project of Ignacio Montenegro (also of Spanish roots). An ethanol plant of the Universal Robina Corporation (URC) that produces bioethanol for the local market has recently been inaugurated.
Getting There and Away_____________________
Boats and fast ferries from Bohol, Cebu, Siquijor, and Dipolog
depart for Dumaguete, the province's capital city, daily.
Buses serve the Bacolod-Dumaguete route several times daily.
Buses serve the Dumaguete-Cebu, Cebu -Dumaguete route several times daily.
Domestic flights are also available from Manila daily
via Cebu Pacific and Air Philippines.
The Provincial Capitol in Dumaguete was built in 1924.
The Dumaguete Bell Tower, built in 1811, used to warn residents
of raiding pirates.
The Dumaguete Boulevard, along the sea, is a favorite place to
relax and hang-out. Several restaurants, disco bars, and hotels
line-up along it. It is also the site for food festivals, parades
and other government-sponsored occasions.
Silliman University in Dumaguete, founded by American missionaries
in 1901, is the only Protestant university in the country. Its 35-hectare
area is a bird sanctuary. Silliman Hall serves as a museum that
houses an extensive collection of locally-excavated artifacts, Sung
and Ming dynasty porcelain, and voodoo paraphernalia from Siquijor.
Its marine laboratory offers gear for diving and exploring the fish-rich
The twin Lakes Balinsasayao and Danao, northwest of Dumaguete,
are small adjacent crater lakes on an elevation of 300 meters amidst
the lush forest.
The Palimpinon Hot Springs, 10 kilometers from the city, come from
crevices along the Ocoy river bank.
Camp LookOut in Valencia town, west of Dumaguete, is in the foothills
of Cuernos de Negros or "Horns of Negros", so named because
of its twin peaks. This "Little Baguio" provides a panoramic
view of the Dumaguete port and the islands of Cebu and Siquijor.
Other places to see in Valencia are Tejeros, a fresh-water swimming
pool flanked by verdant hills, Karolan Twin Falls, and the Filipino-Japanese-American
Amity shrine in Sagbang, site of a fierce battle during World War
Bais City, a city in the north, is famous for its whale-watching
activity. Further up north is Canlaon City, near the province´s
northern border on the eastern slopes of Canlaon Volcano, which
is dubbed as "The Baguio of the Visayas".
South of Dumaguete are the towns of Bacong, with its old coral
church facing the sea,and Dauin, with its centuries-old towers used
against marauding pirates. Zamboanguita is another town in the south,
from where a pump boat may be hired to Apo Island, a popular retreat